Offshore Outsourcing has gone main stream and now offshore is no longer a concept but a reality!
The initial perception was that offshore outsourcing was appropriate for larger organisations; however it is now increasingly apparent that almost every organisation, big or small, can benefit from offshore outsourcing. Indian software service providers have matured the process of offshore delivery. A combination of onsite and offshore software services has become a successful delivery model for many software projects. Advantages to the client include not just cost reduction but also access to a larger pool of experienced and skilled offshore software professionals capable of delivering high quality software and IT services.
What do we do?
Automatic’s Onsite – Offshore engagement model is designed to pass these benefits to clients. Our entire Onsite – Offshore engagement model is governed by the Simple Services Delivery model (SSDM) to ensure that the Client team and Automatic team work closely with each other.
SSDM implements a Governance model that:
The delivery and engagements are monitored and guided by the steering committee comprising of the Client and Automatic’s management.
Onsite – Offshore Software services delivery model Overview:
Software project teams are divided into two sub teams viz., the onsite (nearer to client) & offshore team in India.
› Onsite activities
› Offshore activities
- Provides complete transparency on project performance (providing near real time project dashboards)
- Identifies risks at different stages of offshoring and initiates a risk mitigation plan
- Builds flexibility to adapt to changing client needs
- Provides service improvement opportunities by establishing base lines and then measuring against them
- Onsite team is led by onsite PM or Account manager and Offshore team is led by Offshore Project manager
- Onsite team is staffed with the senior functional consultants who understand the client’s requirement along with the key users and document them.
- Onsite activities are completed at the client’s end
- Offshore activities are documented and prepared for the offshore team.
- Size of the onsite team is decided based on the size of the project and the support requirements.
- Offshore team is managed by a dedicated Project manager. The offshore PM co-ordinates the requirements with the onsite team and gets them executed through the offshore delivery team.
- The offshore delivery team size is decided based on the project size and support requirements and comprises of both technical and functional consultants.
- Onsite techno-functional onsite software consultants work as channels between the Client business analysts and offshore project team.
- Onsite consultants work closely with the key users and the client team to understand the business processes and to document the requirements. Together with the steering team, a realization plan is prepared for various activities.
- Requirement specification documents are always approved by the key users and steering teams.
- Activities that require a closer cooperation with the client team are executed onsite to save time and efforts (Document, execute, test and deploy).
- Offshore activities are prepared / documented by the onsite team along with the key users.
- After approval from the steering team, offshore activities are transitioned to the offshore team for realization.
- Approved functional documents are accepted by the offshore project manager.
- The offshore team converts the business requirements and functional documents into the technical design at offshore software delivery centre.
- Offshore Team Leaders and Functional Leaders translate the requirements and functional designs for the functional/ technical team members for realization.
- Based on approved technical designs, code is built, tested and deployed from offshore.
- Sample data and test conditions are received from the client team or are already present in the test environment.
- Built in developments/customization are tested by the teams with the sample data from the client or in the sample test environment with test cases relevant to the client business.
- If software development / software coding is involved, the code is sent through the cycles of code review within the team of TL, QA members and client side technical reviewers.
- Code/Customization is frozen for functional business testing. The tested code/customization is released to the onsite team for combined testing with the client (in the QA environment) along with relevant documentation. Upon approval, the changes then go into production.
- On approval from client post internal testing, the code is packed and delivered to the client project team.